Subject: Re: Help needed. netbsd on a VAX4000-105A
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22L=FCck=2C_Bernhard=22?= <Bernhard.Lueck@triaton.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/04/2001 19:17:47
Hi !

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, "L=FCck, Bernhard" wrote:
> Hardware:
> VAX 4000-105A with

Not really old. Very nice! But only supported in -current. Works stable her=
e,
had an uptime of 40 days before the firestorm some days ago, where the powe=
was interrupted :(

> 3 x DSSI Drives RF36=09=09(DIA0,DIA1,DIA2)

Not supported (currently)

> 1 x SCSI CDROM RRD43=09(DKA400)

supported

> 1 x Ethernet Interface=09=09(EZA0)

supported

> no Floppy Disk Drive.
> 64 MB Main Memory and only an VT-Term.

Very good

> I found an bootable CD-Image of netbsd 1.5
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/iso/at/vaxcd.iso put it onto the CD =
and
> booted the vax form device dka400 with the monitor command "boot dka400:"=
=2E
> After that i've got these Messages.
>
> (BOOT/R5:0 DKA400:)
>
>  2..
>  -DKA400
>  1..0..
>

> thats all. Then the machine hangs or somthing else. How can I check that =
the
> CD-Drive is working properly. I have no documenation or other media to te=
st
> the CD-drive.

Of course. a) booting of the SCSI devices currently doesn't work, and i did=
n't
find the time to fix this. But 1.5 will definitely not work out of the box,
you need to get the -current kernel at least, and if you install the machin=
from scratch, it might be the best idea to also get the userland for this
kernel.

=2E..Michael

--=20
visit http://www.bsdfans.org/   Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD Fre=
eBSD
Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep M=
acOS