Subject: Re: 3100/m78 getting there
To: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/02/2001 21:28:27
Hi,

> I'm back and trying to get that 3100/m78 booting.  When last I tried it
> was rather an old kernel.  I found something better and here's what I'm
> seeing:

[cut]

> I'm having trouble passing the right parms via dhcpd on a Linux box.  In
> fact, I can only get this far with the netbsd kernel in the NFS server's
> root directory.  If I include an "option root-path" line in dhcpd.conf, I
> can't even get the kernel to boot. I can't seem to find the aha! howto
> section.  Anybody got a quick pointer for how I should continue the
> installation?  I'd like to do the whole thing over NFS until I find some
> decent scsi disks.

Here's what I use to netboot my MV3300 using dhcpd in linux:

host fridge {
        hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:0f:b7:14;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.10;
        option root-path "/usr/local/NetBSD-1.5/vax/root";
}

/usr/local/NetBSD-1.5/vax/root contains the root fs :&)

works a treat for me :&)

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html