Subject: Re: DEC - VGA video adaptor?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de, rschaefe@gcfn.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/01/2001 11:08:22
At 07:29 PM 7/1/01 +0200, jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
>Most modern multisync VGA monitors can handle sync on green.

I point out, perhaps unnecessarily, that "most" in terms of volume would be
the $179 17" monitors that come "free" with sub-1K PCs and they decidedly
_don't_ handle sync on green (or anything that they don't absolutely have to.)

>  If not,
>get the app note for the Netsemi LM1881 (http://www.national.com/),
>heat your old soldering iron and contruct your own sync separator.

Interestingly, when I opened up a KFC monitor (used at a local school) to
fix it I saw the pads on the video board where the LM1881 would go! So
clearly in some more expensive version it did handle sync on green :-)
There were also pads for the BNC connector inputs.

Although, finding a source of the BNC to VGA adapter would be handy.

--Chuck