Subject: Re: NuVAX revisited
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/28/2001 17:39:54
Hi,

> > Okay - so here's the way I would do it, given resources, time, talent and so
> > forth:
> >
> > <talking through my hat>
>
> Better than eating one's hut.....(:+}}....

Well I suspect a hut is slightly more paletable than a house... :&)

> > The sad part is, although I love the VAXen - I don't know enough to know if
> > what I just lined out is even remotely practical, possible, or even if it
> > makes any sense at all.
>
> Well, we have to dream some before we affix pencil to drafting paper
> (or was that hit the keyboard to cad).

To quote one of my lecturers "A pencil and paper is the most advanced
design tool" :&)

> > I just think it would be cool!  Imagine - 1GHz VAX 11/7[58]0 single-board
> > replacement for almost anything out there - RAM up to 1Gbyte (can this
> > architecture address that?), etc.
> >
> > Can you *imagine* NetBSD on something like that?
>
> Well, pipedreaming pipe firmly in teeth.... assuming something like
> that could be done, and not crawl because of overhead, that ought to
> give us what, maybe 1000 vups?  YIKES.... UFO-outer-spaceVAX!
>
> Now, what venture capitalists are there in the crowd, and what sort
> of sales pitch can we scribe together?    (:+}}...
>
> (Think how 4.3BSD would absolutely fly like a meteor... for the retro folks!)

Possible code-name perhaps?

"Meteor" seems somewhat apt - the 11/750 was "Comet" according to a little
hunting on the net

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html