Subject: Re: VAX 4000 60 ... anything strange to get NetBSD up on it?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/28/2001 09:54:13
> >> Yes, I think you could get a mounting kit to put a CD-ROM there.  I've
> >> never personally seen one with anything installed there though.
> You can put a regular SCSI disk in the CDROM bay as well. Yust drill
> four holes into the mounting tray to screw the disk up to the mounting
> tray. I did this to mount three disks in my VS4k90.

I saw that.  That is an option, but, if someone can send me a tracing
of the real shoe that fits in that plastic mount tray, maybe I could
cobble up a real thing.  It looks like it is just an aluminum or steel
plate of maybe 1/16th inch thickness.

> > How are you booting the machine?  BOOTP?
> mop + dhcp/bootp like every VAX:
> http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.vax.html

Nah... cdrom.... cdrom.... cdrom.... fast, quick, simple, and it works,
although I still have a fettish for spinning tapes... 9 track reel tapes,
that bites me sometimes.....(:+}}...  I get real strange looks in the
surplus diving pit feeding frenzies, when I ask folks for 9 track reels.
It is fun to watch their quizzled looks.

Bob