Subject: Re: VAX 4000 60 ... anything strange to get NetBSD up on it?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/28/2001 09:37:02
> >Regardless of the size, it is a nice toy to run across
> >for 8 buckeroos de realme, as it is said in the vernacular.
>
> Working on our understatement technique ? :-)

Well.......(:+}}.... I am a sucker for an idle VAXentoy......(:+}}...
especially when the price is right!

> >Are there any drive size limitations on the boot drive in a 4000 60?
> >It has a 1 gig C2247 HP drive.  But, I have a nice 4 gig drive that
> >would be better suited to a faster VAX.
>
> I believe you have the 8GB limit (Extended SCSI) but other than that it
> just has to fit into the H-thingy.

Speaking of that H-thingy.  I see there are slots for two drives, and
I only have one aluminum drive shoe.  I can probably cobble one up out
of some sheet stock, but, when it is inserted in the bottom of the
H mount thingy, does it go upside down?  I was thinking that was not
good karma on HD's.

Two 4 gig drives and the cdrom would make it a nice build box.
The 1 gig C2247 HP drive was rebadged an RZ26B.  It makes more noise
than the old MA1A start carts we used to spin up jet engines with in
the old days.  Loud sucker.  The other 2247's I have used were not at
all that loud.  Is that a function of the plastic mounting reverberating?

I did some further looking at the 5.25 inch spot.  It apparently has
a plastic mount tray, but does not have the aluminum mount shoe that
whatever mounts on to slide into the plastic mount tray.  Anyone
offhand got a spare one of those or can send me a tracing of one
so I can cobble something up?

> >That is about what it looks like, except where teh 5.25 inch bay goes,
> >mine is blank.  My ram sticks are doublesided.
>
> I'm pretty sure both 4's and 16's were double sided, just the chips were
> different. Powering it on will resolve the question :-)

It turns out that it has 40mb!  Good.  The 1.5 suite loaded nicely,
but I want to move it to current ``real soon now''.

Thanks for the tips.  That is a sweet little box.....(:+}}...

Now, which one is the lightspeed 4000, the 705A?    Gotta keep eyes
out for one of those critters in the surplus diving pit feeding frenzy.

Bob