Subject: Re: VAX 4000 60 ... anything strange to get NetBSD up on it?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/27/2001 12:56:23
At 02:57 PM 6/27/01 -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>Well, here I go again, another VAX....(:+}}...  this time a 4000 60
>with 2 ram sticks (probably 32mb total) and a 1 gig HP drive and a
>video board of some kind.

I'm betting you've got 16MB (two 4MB sticks and 8MB on the main board)
Memory for the /60 (and /90 btw) come in 4MB sticks and 16MB sticks. The
/60 has 8MB on the main board but the /90 doesn't. So you've got either
16MB or 40MB of RAM. 4MB sticks are fairly easy to find, the 16MB ones less
so.

>IFF I pull the video board, is there anything strange (switches to flip,
>etc) in getting NetBSD up on it?

Don't pull the video board. (is it single headed or dual headed?) Just put
switch S-3 in the up position, (front flip down door covers it), plug into
the MMJ next to the DB25 on the bottom and go.

>I see an internal spot for what looks like a full height drive of some
>sort, or possibly a cdrom?  What can/does/should go there?  I did not
>see any mount bracket though, but the bus cable has a connector there.
>I would suppose most anything could go there?

Three things are available as options, a floppy, a CD-ROM, and the TZ30.
Unfortunately you need the plastic front plate as well that has the
opening. I've got both a TZ30 and a floppy that I could put there but they
only have the BA42 (aka VS3100) dress plates.

>Is the 1.5.1 VAX bootcd iso ready yet?  IF so, I would like to burn
>a copy instead of using 1.5, tonight.

:-)

>(Yeah, I know, what do I need with another VAX... but, it was so cute
>  and orphaned, just sitting in the surplus pile.....(:+\\..... I could
>  not just let it sit there......(:+}}...)

That is some surplus pile.
see this one
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1242572888> for one
with a picture of the TZ30 bezel (no TZ30 in theirs though) See here
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1244734520> for
someone who, in a fit of insanity no doubt, paid nearly $300 for one like
yours.

--Chuck