Subject: Re: NuVAX revisited
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/27/2001 10:57:21
> > > Hmmm, is there any smaller type of floppies than 3.5 inch? We need
> > > something cute for the front end...
> >
> > You might consider something like CompactFlash, SmartMedia, or MicroDrive
> > devices.  I've seen CompactFlash devices with as much as 512MB storage
> > capacity, SmartMedia of around 128MB, and IBM has a 1GB MicroDrive.
>
> Cpacity is not an issue. Are you not aware that the front end for the
> 11/780 has an RX02, which means 256 KByte...

8 inch floppers are getting hard to come by.  A best long-term solution
would be the 5.25 HD drives, although those are even getting scarce.
The 3.5 inch floppy is likely to be with us for a few more years and
probably represents a best usable standard size.  What we DONT want
to do is use something strange that would bite us a few years down
the road.

(Gotta admit, though, I luv those 8 inch floppers......(:+}}....)

Bob