Subject: Re: NuVAX revisited
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/26/2001 21:51:25
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:

> At 09:05 PM 6/26/01 +0100, Matt London wrote:
>
> >$200 (even AU$) is a lot for me - I'm a poor student :&)
> >
> >However, as a project, it'd be great fun I suspect. I'd be more than happy
> >to join in :&)
> >
> >Any takers?
>

> Well, the WebPACK ISE tools are a free download from Xilinx (you can also
> call the local sales rep for Xilinx whoever that is in your area and get
> them on a mini-CD)
>
> Next if you get access to the 780 prints I can probably teach enough VHDL
> to start doing a gate level implementation. Basically this would involve
> doing some simple VHDL equivalents of TTL gates and then wiring them
> together just like they are in the schematics. I'm guessing we'd use some
> fast static RAM for the WCS and no doubt you would want to load it
> remotely. Then its just a matter of
>          typing
>          simulating
>          fixing
> Until the model works just like the real thing. Cost is $0 (other than
> time) until you actually want to start downloading it.
>
> And yes the gate level version would be inefficient however as the test bed
> for a RTL specified one it would be invaluable.

Sounds a lot like a plan to me (and hard work - but that's no stranger)

Even if we never got it into hardware, to get that far would be quite an
achievment :&)

Where do we stand regarding copyright and the like?

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html