Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/26/2001 14:57:09
PCI is as crippled as the PC world it came from. The _theoretical_ max
speed of a PCI bus is very high, yes, and this is what makes all the
paper comparisons look so great for it. realworld performance is pretty
mediocre though. The same number of conductors with the same clock can do
_so_ much more, and in other busses, less wires and slower clocks _does_ do
more. TURBOchannel for example. fast as hell. only 44 conductors. simple
interface logic. why did it die? because the post-olsen DEC decided that
PCI was the 'way of the future' like everyone else did. if everyone
believes that it is, then yes it becomes so, but it doesnt mean that its
any good.

Isildur