Subject: Pushing back onto topic ... Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/26/2001 11:53:03
At 02:42 PM 6/26/01 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   While I'm definitely a big fan of PCI, I think that Sun's move
>(while not entirely bad) wasn't without its price.  Sure, sbus cards
>are more expensive than cheap commodity PC parts.  But when I go to
>sleep and put my pager on my nightstand, I'd rather not have cheap
>commodity PC parts in the computer room, if you know what I mean.

Ok, to push this insanely off topic rant back marginally on topic, how
difficult would it be to create an XMI to PCI Nexus adapter? How about SBI
to PCI? Q-bus to PCI? Even a limited subset?

We've talked about building Q-bus SCSI cards because they are so hard to
find, but why not build a PCI bridge and then use the existing cards? I
have NO IDEA how difficult this would be. One man year? 10? Impossible?

--Chuck