Subject: Re: Compaq Tosses the Alpha To Intel...
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/26/2001 07:42:50
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:31:46AM -0400, David Woyciesjes wrote:

 > 	I wonder, does this Compaq/Intel licsense aggreement allow Intel to
 > take the current Alpha processor, and just rename it the "Itanic", oops,
 > "Itanium"? 	Considering thier (Intel's) current progress on it, and the
 > fact that the Alpha Engineers are being offered jobs at Intel after they
 > finishe thier current projects, this does seems like a possibility to me.
 > Add to that FX!32 being so easy to get your hands on....
 > 	Maybe just wishful thinking?

Well, considering that Itanium hardware already exists...

The Alpha is not the IA-64 architecture... what they'll probably do is
put talented chip designers (in stark contrast to what Intel currently
has on the IA-64 team) on the future IA-64s.

Let's see what AlphaProcessor, Inc. does now...

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>