Subject: very off-topic
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/25/2001 19:38:17
Ok, one of the things that I have wondered is if we can have our cake and
eat it too. In particular with respect to the Wintel Hegemony.

Consider that Wintel has produced some defacto interfaces that get good
volumes and keep prices low (EIDE, PCI, SDRAM, video monitors, mice, and
keyboards) Could we design a system around these things and make it
credible? Should we? I imagine neat things one might do with a custom
computer but the overhead of supporting it would be INTENSE! Compilers,
applications, OS, drivers, alone would kill me.

--Chuck