Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/25/2001 21:37:17
Dave McGuire writes:
> On June 25, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>> One thing AIX got right is persistent system configuration and a sane simple
>> and  correct pageable kernel. There are many things to be learned from AIX.
>
>   I remember hearing somewhere that AIX's logical volume handling is
> also quite good.  Anybody know anything about that?

It's outstanding.  AIX could do wizzy LVM stuff musta been a decade ago.
Other Unixes have barely caught up with the level of functionality they had
back then.  They had a real journaling filesystem then, too.  And don't get
me started about the attention to detail in the hardware...

The AIX guys really, really know their stuff, much of it learned from the
mainframe world (where "5 nines" doesn't just mean you're cheating at
poker).  Many lives ago, my company worked with them on a B-level secure
version of AIX, and our gurus were very impressed with the AIX folks.

Ken Seefried, CISSP