Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/25/2001 14:22:53
It's not too bad. It's much like HP-UX's LVM and like Heinz's LVM linux stuff.
It is also integrated well with JFS which allows you to grow filesystems. It's
a helluva lot better than CCDs- but I haven't played enough with RaidFrame to
compare it with that. I personally think it's better and easier to cope with
than VINUM, but I never had a large enough AIX h/w platform to really shake it
out.

The SCSI HBA support is limited, but workable. The thing about later AIX is
still there are wierd issues with things like NFS and routing that pop up from
time to time because IBM internally re-implemented a lot of stuff.

From the driver point of view, it wasn't too bad. The SMP and other
DDI/DKI types of stuff was pretty straightforward after Solaris. The config
stuff (ODM) is very strange to get used to at first, but after a while you
begin to see it makes a lot of sense.

-matt