Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: NetBSD/vax Discussion List <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/25/2001 19:21:32
Dave McGuire writes:

>> The NS16032 and NS32032 are very much like a VAX too, at least
>> architecturally.  The NS guys claimed a much tighter instruction set,
>> and their MMU is probably better in sime respects....  They certainly
>> seemed to run faster than a MicroVAX at the same clock speed !  ;-)
>
>   Really?  I never really looked at them in that way.  Perhaps I shall
> have to revisit them. :)

Well..one can't overlook the fact that regardless of the beauty of the
architecture, there were implimentation issues with the early 32000
processors.  The errata sheets were a mile long.  The 32332 & 32532 were
much better, bugwise & performance wise, but still had numerous issues.
There are some interesting workarounds in the GCC code generator.  These
issues contributed significantly to the death of the line.

> Are there any decent machines around built with those procs?

Encore Multimax, Sequent Balance, some nifty Tektronix workstations,
ICM3216, PC532, Heurikon VME532, many other more or less obscure boxen.

Ken Seefried, CISSP