Subject: Re: couple of OT things, hardware related
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: Arno Griffioen <griffioena@psi.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/22/2001 10:47:08
> so, how often were these things used for memory?  or is this just a case of
> a company doing right even if it costs more?

'old' memory chips (late 70's early 80's) often were in ceramic packaging.
These could get pretty warm too and the ceramic packaging is better at
dissipating the heat away from the silicon itself.

It also depends on the chip classification. Military-grade chips often come
in ceramic packaging by default to meet the specifications (eg. temperature
range).

I think I still have some radiation-hardened 54xx's (military version of
the 74xx TTL IC's) around somewhere :-)

								Bye, Arno.

--
PSINetworks Europe         Phone: +31-23-5699846 | One disk to rule them all,
Siriusdreef 34               FAX: +31-84-8640234 | One disk to bind them,

 We say Retribution, We say Vengeance is bliss, We say Revolution,
 With a Cast-Iron fist!                  (Megadeth, 'The Disintegrators')