Subject: RE: Seeketh ye a faste VAXe.....?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/22/2001 00:32:34
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

> On 21 Jun, Matt London wrote:
>
> > I get some funny looks moving in and out of halls at uni with both my
> > MV3300 and my big pee cee (which is also on wheels) - sitting on them in
> > the lift and the like :&)
> I know this. :-)
> Every summer is a big Linux fair in Germany, the LinuxTag. Last year
> some friends and I organized a BSD booth. The attraction of the BSD
> booth was a VAX geek (me) sitting on a MV II in a BA23 hacking around.
> At one day a strange, beard man with a RedHat came to te booth and
> talked to me. He told me that he had similar MV II systems in racks, but
> he gave them away because his wife... He still has some PMAXen... Was a
> nice talk. The stranger was Alan Cox. :-)

Aye - a nice chap Alan :&)

I sat and chatted to him in a pub in London after Linux Expo 2000 :&)

Showed him my (and a friends) parallelised init scripts, he agreed
parallelisation was the way to go. This is of course on x86 linux boxen
where forking a new sh carries very little overhead, enough for the
parallelisation to outweigh toe fork cost.

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html