Subject: Re: VT340 Stupidity
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/22/2001 00:46:23
On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Brian Chase wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On June 21, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > > 	Another (not entirely reasonable) use might be to write a SIXEL
> > > 	vnc client. The (rather deranged) possibilities after that include
> > > 	having X, MacOS or Windows desktops on your VT340 :)
> >
> >   This is SICK.  I like it.
>
> Interesting.  How long does it take to refresh a full sixel screen?  And
> were you able to write to individually addressable pixels?

A full screen? Hmmm, quite a while. Each bytes carry six bits of data
(hence sixel), maximum speed might be 38400, but it might be 19200 as
well. I don't remember the resolution on the screen, but it's not *that*
bad. Finally, you have sixteen colors on the VT340. I'm not sure how they
are encoded in the sixel patterns, but I would assume each pixel can hold
any color, which means four bits per pixel. Quite a lot of data...

No, you can not address individual pixels, but if you have a copy of the
image on memory, you can make the modifications, and then update a smaller
part of the screen.

	Johnny