Subject: Re: Man, that's just cruel...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/2001 12:01:05
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 12:53:56PM -0400, Lord Isildur wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Greg Ingram wrote:
> > The second pallet they're building has mostly "Storage Expansion" units.
> > Are they good for anything?
> theyre very solid SCSI boxen.

Indeed.

> they are very nice machines. the '200 is a great workhorse, the 240 is
> actually a fast machine and very nice for a workstation. I run both
> models. NetBSD has supported them for many years.

I run a 240 in production mode as an IRC server. It just works. The only
failure I've had on it has been a hard disk crash, and even then the server
ran until it needed to hit the disk - and it had enough memory that that
took several days. Note that the 240, and I believe the 200 as well, has no
internal space for disk drives, so you'll need to keep a storage expansion
box for each one.

> > There's a VAXstation 4000/60 with no memory or drives.  What kind of
> > memory does it take?
> its own kind, common only with the 4k9x and some late model vs3100's. it
> is not impossible to find but might not be easy to find in large
> quantity.

...but if you do, it makes a nice little box to play around with, since it
will use garden variety narrow SCSI hard disk and CDROM.