Subject: Re: Man, that's just cruel...
To: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/2001 12:53:56
On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Greg Ingram wrote:
> The second pallet they're building has mostly "Storage Expansion" units.
> Are they good for anything?

theyre very solid SCSI boxen. the cabling in the boxen as they are only has
connectors for 2 disks, but if you replace the cable you can fit 4
3.5inchers in there. the power supply is indestructible. with only 2
devices, you will never need to worry about cooling, either.
plus, they look nice stacked 5 high :-) (and makes a handy end-table)

> There's a bunch of DECstation 5000/2[04]0s.  I opened one and it looks
> like it has a MIPS CPU.  It looks like these are supported by the pmax
> port I know it's the wrong list, but any quick pointers?  Is one of these
> worth pursuing?

they are very nice machines. the '200 is a great workhorse, the 240 is
actually a fast machine and very nice for a workstation. I run both
models. NetBSD has supported them for many years.

> There's a VAXstation 4000/60 with no memory or drives.  What kind of
> memory does it take?

its own kind, common only with the 4k9x and some late model vs3100's. it
is not impossible to find but might not be easy to find in large
quantity.