Subject: Re: VT340 Stupidity
To: Megan <mbg@world.std.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/2001 08:43:15
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:50:11PM -0400, Megan wrote:

> >Well, I'm not saying it would be pretty, but it's still got to be better
> >than the print-only.
>
> Not necessarily... it is accomplished through use of escape sequences
> to draw anything.  At least character sets can be downloaded, and
> macros defined.  But each of the devices which support ReGIS do
> so to different levels and different resolutions.
>
> The ones I can think of off-hand are the VK100 (GIGI), VT125 and
> the VT340.  I don't know if others in the VT family handle ReGIS.
>
> If I remember correctly, the graphics planes of the VT125, for
> example, don't move with the text screen, so one cannot scroll
> without erasing and re-writing.
>
> But on the other hand, I believe it has something called SIXEL
> graphics, so once the escape sequence has been sent to start
> accepting SIXEL, you can send it a string of characters which
> specifies a swath six pixels high and as many pixels wide as you
> send characters... so all one might need is a bitmap of what should
> be displayed and you simply send the sixel screen update...

Does the VT125 do SIXELs?  I thought it was ReGIS only, unlike some
of the newer VTs.  Actually, I thought DEC built terminals with only
SIXELs, terminals with only ReGIS, and terminals with both.

I'm pretty sure the VT440 and VT540 (I've never even seen a 540) have
a superset of the VT340 functionality, which would imply ReGIS and
SIXELs support.  I've never used one, though.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron