Subject: Re: VT340 Stupidity
To: Dave McGuire , Vance Dereksen <vance@ikickass.org>
From: Megan <mbg@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2001 23:50:11
>Well, I'm not saying it would be pretty, but it's still got to be better
>than the print-only.

Not necessarily... it is accomplished through use of escape sequences
to draw anything.  At least character sets can be downloaded, and
macros defined.  But each of the devices which support ReGIS do
so to different levels and different resolutions.

The ones I can think of off-hand are the VK100 (GIGI), VT125 and
the VT340.  I don't know if others in the VT family handle ReGIS.

If I remember correctly, the graphics planes of the VT125, for
example, don't move with the text screen, so one cannot scroll
without erasing and re-writing.

But on the other hand, I believe it has something called SIXEL
graphics, so once the escape sequence has been sent to start
accepting SIXEL, you can send it a string of characters which
specifies a swath six pixels high and as many pixels wide as you
send characters... so all one might need is a bitmap of what should
be displayed and you simply send the sixel screen update...

					Megan Gentry
					Former RT-11 Developer

| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL   | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group |          (home):  mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation    | addresses need '@' in place of '!'  |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43   | URL:     http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062               | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055                 |  required." - mbg            KB1FCA |