Subject: Re: VT340 Stupidity
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2001 17:04:48
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 04:55:37PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On June 20, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > Hmmm, now that has some potential.  In the V6 code are drivers for
> > 4014's to do full page nroff and troff graphics output.
> >
> > Thinking out loud, it might be interesting IFF say groff or TeX
> > output could be handled in 4014 mode on the VAX.  Groff seems to
> > have lost the troff 4014 capability.
> >
> > I do a lot of troff/TeX stuff, and it would be one-upsmanship kooool
> > if a VT340 could handle the output directly, graphically, rather than
> > xdvi or such.
> >
> > Hmmm.... I better browse the V6 tree again......(:+}}...

> > I just did, and a thing called tk.c and another called tcat.c
> > drive nroff or troff cat output to a 4014 mode screen.
> >
> > Time to see if I can break a VT340.....
>
>   Hmm...that sounds cool.  I'll bet it wouldn't be too difficult to do
> a DVI viewer for 4014 mode.  That would be quite useful.

I wrote a mostly-working Mathematica frontend once that used Xterm's
split-personality 4014 and VT100 modes; unlike the fairly crappy X-windows
Mathematica (which wasn't a normal frontend like the PC or Mac versions)
it talked to the "math server", handled notebooks (well, tried to, anyway)
and so forth.  I don't know if it would have worked on a VT340 -- we didn't
have any to try it with!  We did have some very nice VT100/4014/X-Terminal
widgets (which began life as VT100/4014 emulators but grew X support by
way of a new ROM several years after we bought them -- neat!) but my
program did *not* work on them; they couldn't be flipped between 340 and
4014 mode without user intervention, or perhaps it was that they cleared
the screen; I don't recall.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron