Subject: Re: VT340 Stupidity
To: M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2001 00:45:32
> >Hi.  I forget the name of the language it uses, but the DEC VT340 supports
> >graphics on the console.  I wonder if it would be possible to write a
> >(would-be rather strange) X server for it.  Boggles the mind.  Anyone know
> >this language well enough?
>
>      From the MicroVAX Systems Handbook (1988): "These video
> terminals...support ReGIS, Tektronix 4010/4014, and sixel graphics
> protocols."
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmm, now that has some potential.  In the V6 code are drivers for
4014's to do full page nroff and troff graphics output.

Thinking out loud, it might be interesting IFF say groff or TeX
output could be handled in 4014 mode on the VAX.  Groff seems to
have lost the troff 4014 capability.

I do a lot of troff/TeX stuff, and it would be one-upsmanship kooool
if a VT340 could handle the output directly, graphically, rather than
xdvi or such.

Hmmm.... I better browse the V6 tree again......(:+}}...

I just did, and a thing called tk.c and another called tcat.c
drive nroff or troff cat output to a 4014 mode screen.

Time to see if I can break a VT340.....

Bob