Subject: Re: OT: which 4BSD for VAX 4000
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2001 11:29:20
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:24:15AM -0400, Lord Isildur wrote:
> hello,

hey there.

> currently no 4BSD runs on that machine. Actually i am at the moment
> working on getting 4.3tahoe to run on a KA690 (4000/600) which is quite
> similar to a 4000/400. I expect that i should probably have it working

very cool.  you make all this available on the PUPS archive, right?

> within a few days. It wont support the DSSI or the SHAC just yet, those

bah.

> need to have support wirtten for them, but the Qbus will work so any Qbus
> devices you have you will probly be able to use. Stay tuned, i will announce

don't have any QBus devices, which is pretty much the entire problem. :)

> it here when i get it working. i got a little further yesterday. (somehow
> something is frobbing a register, methinks, wrongly, and forcing an
> access violation.. just takes tedium to drill through and find the
> problem. ) but NetBSD and OpenBSD are the only ones that support these boxen
> right now. Open has some issue with not supporting local disks i think? i
> seem to remember something like that from a few months back.

i can't wait for NetBSD to handle the SHAC/DSSI stuff, i have 4x1GB DSSI disks,
a 381MB and whatever Bill Bradford is shipping me.  so i could have a nice
chock full of disks box if i could only get an OS on the thing (i have VMS 5.5
tapes, but no UCX for 5.5, UCX license, but no UCX media) i also have an
external DSSI cage, so i'm not limited by how many disks i can put on this
thing.  this will be my web/ftp server for the world.  yummy.

> Look here for more info! hopefully by next week youll be able to boot
> tahoe on your 4400!

that would be sweet, i'm thinking of the three 4000 boxes, one runs NetBSD,
one runs VMS and one runs Tahoe.

then i gotta go drag the /750 from NY and put something on that. :)

cheers, and thanks for the info,

-brian