Subject: Re: OT: which 4BSD for VAX 4000
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2001 11:24:15
hello,

currently no 4BSD runs on that machine. Actually i am at the moment
working on getting 4.3tahoe to run on a KA690 (4000/600) which is quite
similar to a 4000/400. I expect that i should probably have it working
within a few days. It wont support the DSSI or the SHAC just yet, those
need to have support wirtten for them, but the Qbus will work so any Qbus
devices you have you will probly be able to use. Stay tuned, i will announce
it here when i get it working. i got a little further yesterday. (somehow
something is frobbing a register, methinks, wrongly, and forcing an
access violation.. just takes tedium to drill through and find the
problem. ) but NetBSD and OpenBSD are the only ones that support these boxen
right now. Open has some issue with not supporting local disks i think? i
seem to remember something like that from a few months back.

Look here for more info! hopefully by next week youll be able to boot
tahoe on your 4400!

happy hacking,
isildur