Subject: Re: Man, that's just cruel...
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@liveround.com>
From: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2001 07:44:04
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> Check out ebay at:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1246743978
>
> Man, if only I lived in Texas. If you've got the cash to outlay, this
> could buy somebody a whole damn computer lab. And every last bit of it
> runs NetBSD...
> --
>  - J. Buck Caldwell

I went to see this equipment yesterday.  The place is a boneyard.  Most of
the vaxen are from NASA and Texas universities.  The boxes on this
particular pallet are a bit dirty, but look servicable.  They'd
shrink-wrapped the pallet, but they let my pull on of the 3100s out.  I
couldn't tell much, but it did have a disk drive.

These guys have *lots* more vaxen and when I was there they were preparing
another pallet for auction, mostly with more 3100s.  This second pallet
looked cleaner than the first.  There are some bigger cabinets.

So, questions:

Can you run a serial console off a 3100?

Is it the "printer" port?

Does it take that funky MMU(?) connector?

The auction for the first pallet was at $305 last I looked.  I could
probably buy some of the other cleaner 3100s for $10 each and it seems
like he'd let me test that they work first.

So what do we want to do?  I'm inclined not to bid, but pick up systems
for whoever might be interested.  I'm only afraid that there's so much
stuff over there that I'll turn into a NetBSD Bob.  :)

- Greg