Subject: Re: VXT2000+ Port Re: MORE: Vaxen List Update...
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Freddy Meerwaldt <frederik@freddym.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2001 21:09:29
Hi!

> > It would be _very_ nice to see NetBSD running on these Machines.
>
> Yeah, talk about a very slim/compact VAX.  I've got one I'd like to run
> NetBSD/vax on as well, but I don't think there's a way to get a serial
> console running on these.  Or at least there's not a way that's
> immediately obvious.

Hmm... Perhaps not to get a serial _console_ (the >>> - Console),
but I could hook up a Monitor and set the machine to autoboot from esa0.
And as soon as the NetBSD Bootloader executes, NetBSD could redirect its
output to the serial console.
That's the way I'd like to have it :)
So I would turn it on (headless), wait a minute, and then see the NetBSD
Kernel output on my serial console.
That's the way I did it with my NetBSD/i386 box.
I just had to patch and re-compile the bootblocks, so that the box
switches to serial-console as a default, but now, I only turn on the box,
doesn't see (of course) the BIOS output, but the machine starts to speak
with me on the serial console as soon as the bootblock is executed.

Best Regards,
	Freddy

--
Geek Code 3.1: GCS s+: a--- C+++ UBOU+++ P-- E--- W++ N w--- V++ PGP- t? 5? tv

 Frederik Meerwaldt  ICQ: 83045387  Homepage: http://www.freddym.org
 Bavaria/Germany              OpenVMS and Unix Howtos and much more
 Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, NetBSD, OpenBSD, IRIX, Tru64, OpenVMS, Ultrix, BeOS