Subject: Re: [somewhat OT] Creating VMS disk images
To: Brian Wheeler <bdwheele@wombat.educ.indiana.edu>
From: Freddy Meerwaldt <frederik@freddym.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2001 21:18:21
Hi!

> configure the network, then ftp the disk images off (via something like
> "get <whatever_device_file_name> dua0.img")?
>
> Is this possible?  There's not enough disk space to make an image directly
> on the machine...

I don't think it is (but my brain isn't really in "up"-state, today).
You could try to get into VMS, then (assuming you have UCX or a related
TCP/IP Software running), connect to your nfs server by typing:

$ UCX MOUNT DNFS1: /HOST="your.nfs.server" -
  /PATH="/orwhateveryoulike" /UID=0

This will connect dnfs1: to the server your.nfs.server to path
/orwhateveryoulike with UID 0.
So you can simply do a

$ BACKUP /IMAGE /IGNORE=INTERLOCK -
  DUA0: DNFS1:[000000]yourimage.bck/save_set

It should be something like that (doesn't have a VMS Box running right
here). But HELP BACKUP should provide you with more information.

ATTENTION: Backup File sets doesn't have the fixed block size of 512 Byte.
They have fixed-length record of another amount of bytes.
But there are some .com files for VMS available to restore them.

Another way with NetBSD:

# mount -t nfs yourserver:/yourpath /mnt
# dd if=/dev/xxxxx0d of=/mnt/dua0.img (you have to look what the RA8x
device are under NetBSD (I have raN in memory where you replace N with the
ID))

Will create an image. If you want you can pipe it through gzip to get
compression, but that's of course optional.

Hope this helps at least a bit.
Best Regards,
	Freddy

--
Geek Code 3.1: GCS s+: a--- C+++ UBOU+++ P-- E--- W++ N w--- V++ PGP- t? 5? tv

 Frederik Meerwaldt  ICQ: 83045387  Homepage: http://www.freddym.org
 Bavaria/Germany              OpenVMS and Unix Howtos and much more
 Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, NetBSD, OpenBSD, IRIX, Tru64, OpenVMS, Ultrix, BeOS