Subject: Re: Netbooting 11/7xx (DEUNA/DELUA)
To: Tim Crawley <timc@lexicon.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2001 09:00:38
On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Tim Crawley wrote:

> I have 'Reflections' terminal software witch I think should
> do all the PC end, but I am not sure of what I would have
> to do at the 11/785 end.
>
> I also do have a 3rd party Unibus SCSI tape controler.
> I researched this a while ago, but It seams that it is
> non bootable.

Old VAXen don't work that way. There are no non-bootable devices.
The VAX-11 machines *all* boot from the console media. There is no other
possibility. Once you've gone through that initial boot stage, you have
loaded your actual boot program. Since this boot program is software
loaded from a device, you can in essence write any boot program you care
for. Also, this means that the controllers have nothing to do with being
bootable or not. They are not involved in the process.

This is not PC hardware. :-)

	Johnny