Subject: Re: Funny Vaxen
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@liveround.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/18/2001 18:55:31
Man, I only wish I still had access to SouthWestern Bell Publication's
computer room. This was the place that stored & sold the Yellow Pages
(commericial phone directory for those abroad) for (at the time) 6
states. They had in 1992:

Room 1:
TWO 9410s (No, I'm not kidding)
At least 6 8xxx, and at least 5 6xxx machines (don't recall exactly how
many)

Room 2:
20 HSC90's, FULL to capacity with SDI drives in full-height cabinets.
1 IBM System36 of some sort - I wasn't allowed to look at it too
closely. Purely VAX support.

Room 3:
SILO Near-Line Tape Storage System. 6 tape drives, and a robotic arm
that would scan the barcodes on each tape and retrieve/load/unload/store
them around the interior of a circular chamber about 12' in diameter and
8' tall. Plus various 9-track and auto-loading cartridge tape systems.

This was when I was working for Emulex as the Field Service rep here in
St. Louis. We supplied the drives and the DAO1 cards for the HSCs.

Truely, that setup inspired my love of VAXen.

--
 -Buckaroo