Subject: Re: VAX6000 / KDB50, need help with some questions ...
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/16/2001 12:50:49
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> b) the connector bars don't have good contacts with the backplane
>    (how can that be improved? how can I tell?)
> c) the cards have a bad connection to the backplane

I have had several KDB50 sets show a problem of oxide on the connectors. A
good antistatic brush designed to remove oxide has helped. Another metod
that has worked is to "half-close" the card so that there is some
mechanical contact nd then wiggle the card a bit to get the connectors to
bite through the oxide layer. The sme thing can be done with the connector
bars.

We actually had to do the same thing a lot of time after letting our vax
8550 cool down during maintanence. Thermal effects seem to cause the cpu
cards to move ever so slightly, making the conectors creep onto an oxide
layer. Moving the cards ever so slightly made the machine work again. and
once back at normal operating temperature it never failed.

The same thing used to happen with our vme based suns. It definitly
impressed people when a computer was cured by mostly putting your hands on
one it! :-)

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF