Subject: VAX6000 / KDB50, need help with some questions ...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, classicmp@classicmp.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/15/2001 22:20:01
Hi,

I finally got a cab kit for a KDB50 along with a second set of
cards. I still have no SDI drives (makes a lot of sense to have
one DSSI drive without KFMSA and a KDB50 without SDI drives :-)
However, I wanted to see whether those cards work (all my
warranty periods expire without me even having a chance to
test it all!) I think I have everything installed right, but
please tell me if I'm wrong. On the back side of the BI bus
the picture looks like this:

     T   T
     1   1
     0   0
     0   0
     3   2

    +--++--+
    |..||[=======
    |..||[ =======  4 cables going to bulkhead
    |..||[=======
    |..||[ =======
    +--++--+
    +--++--+ <---------
    +--++--+ <----------
    +--++--+ <---------
    |      | <
    |      | < 17-01092-01
    |      | <  RIBBON
    |      | <
    +--++--+ <----------

So, looking into the back of the cabinet, I have the T1003 left and
the T1002 right, the lower two connector slots are all covered by the
17-01092-01 ribbon cables connecting the two cards. The upper left
slot is empty, not even any jumpers. The upper right slot has the
cables that run to the bulkhead. I did not plug this in but instead
the cab kit came as one piece with the connector "bars" ready to
screw in, in exchange for a pair of empty connectors bars. Those are
"easy screws", which suggested to me that it is meant to be done
that way. The bars only fit this way (originally I thought the 4 cables
would be out of the lower slot, like the CI cables do.)

When I turn the machine on, I see the two sets of small red LEDs light
in the following sequence (notice that we now look from the front!):

1)       2)      3)

0  .     O  O    (0) 0
.  .     O  .     0  .
.  .     O  .     0  0
0  .     O  .     0  0

T  T
1  1
0  0
0  0
2  3

the yellow LED's will not come on and the selftest shows one -
at the slot of the T1002 and nothing at the T1003. SHOW CONF shows
????????.

Is this normal when no drives are connected at the bulkhead? I suspect
it isn't normal. I also reckon that the pattern of red LED's could
tell something if I had a handbook to decypher those signs.

I can see the following things wrong:

a) no drives connected, easy, good
b) the connector bars don't have good contacts with the backplane
   (how can that be improved? how can I tell?)
c) the cards have a bad connection to the backplane
d) something is broken on the cards (bad!)

I don't think that the cards are broken, because I get the same
thing with either set of KDB50 cards.

Can somebody help me debug? I'd really like to know if those
cards work, because it can take another while before I have
any SDI drives.

Thanks!
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine