Subject: Re: netbooting vlc4000 question
To: None <fdebros@etherdome.mgh.harvard.edu, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/2001 18:52:12
At 04:51 PM 6/14/01 -0400, fdebros@etherdome.mgh.harvard.edu wrote:
>All goes like on the mv3100, the boot device is le0, ok, nfs_boot times out
>three times after DHCP/BOOTP and hostname=name,  but finally i get:
>
>root on server:/path/dir
>clock has lost ....RESET THE DATE
>root file system type: nfs
>/etc/rc.conf is not cfgd. Multiuser boot aborted.
>
>BUT THEN ITS ~STUCK"  ON :
>
>Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: [cursor]
>
>Where do I have a glitch?

Are you doing this from a terminal connected to the serial port or from the
graphics console (I have to assume the former since the latter is
definitely not supported.)

Basically it is telling you that /etc/rc.conf has not been configured yet
so its going single user. If you can't type 'return' and get the prompt
then you may have a bad cable or your terminal may not be transmitting. Try
setting the terminal to 9600 baud, data leads only, in the set up screen.

>hmmm...mmcmanus is buying up all those vlc 4000 on ebay?

I like VLCs. :-) And will buy any VLC for $15 in unknown condition and $30
if it has RAM and a hard drive.
If you have any you'd like to sell, let me know...

--Chuck