Subject: Re: TK50 compatible tape transports? EUREKA!
To: Vance Dereksen <vance@ikickass.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/2001 15:31:00
> What if there are TK50 tape-specific translations going on that would
> preclude someone from using a tape larger than a TK50?

I would gladly trade 95mb capacity Viper (DC6150) reliabilty for TK50
unreliability, ANYTIME.

95/150==63%... not too shabby for retaining some old-tyme VAX boot
capability.

Think of it as a hobby hack to keep the old machines whirring.....

(:+}}...

Thinking along the same lines, might it be possible to concoct
come sort of CD instead of tape boot capability....  If we are
pipe-dreaming, why not dream up something even more useful than
tape.  Retrofitting a TKQ50-scsiconverter-cdrom would be another
nice way to fly.

Now, who knows enough hardware/driver bits to be able to pull
something like that off.

Bob