Subject: Re: TK50 compatible tape transports? EUREKA!
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/2001 15:25:40
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> Gee, a real, ``Aw doggiedoo, EUREKA!''.  That would sure be a neat way
> to get a scsi tape drive to work off a TKQ50 controller, IFF it could
> be made to work.
>
> I am all ears on this one..... and I do have a spare board at home
> that I might could try it on.
>
> Anyone know of any for-sure gotchas in that sort of approach?
>
> Theoretically, I would expect it to be possible.  Practically, dunno.
>
> HD's would probably not work, but tape drives might?
>
> If that could work, one could hang a scsi 9 track reel deck, or
> maybe an Archive 150mb viper off a TKQ50 card.  My, my, how
> interesting that would be.....
>
> Someone mentioned they had some TK50 manuals aound?  What about
> for that scsi controller card?  Is it an Emulex thing like was
> used in the Sun systems (3/160 VME chassis)?  The board does not
> look like Emulex built, but more straight DEC built.
>
> Anyway, food for tinkering.....
>
> Crazy... maybe?  But.....
>
> Bob

I would love to find out if this works (may have to try it myself).  Just
sounded like an interesting idea anyhow.  Normally I wouldn't have
mentioned it, but I thought about it for a second and figured there had to
be *some* reverse translation possible as the tk drive has to talk back
through the scsi drive chain to send info back to the computer.  Oh how I
would love to hang my dat drive off my uVaxIII.

-Linc.

--
  3:21pm  up 57 days,  3:19,  4 users,  load average: 1.98, 1.42, 1.29