Subject: Re: terminal server suggestions?
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/2001 10:33:30
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 08:41:23AM -0400, Lord Isildur wrote:
> with a terminal server you can do the same thing.. at Pitt, in their
> main machine room, they had several hundred machines' consoles going
> to a rack (or more) full of DECservers and then two vs3100's running vms
> keeping a couple hundred LAT connections each, and logging them all..

mmmmm, yummy. :)

> it was a very clean setup. the extra DHV11 is fine for me because i keep
> a qbus vax running more or less 24/7 anyway, and i dont keep enough machines
> runninf that 8 is not enough.. :)

i don't mind keeping the qbus VAX running full time, it's just not really
possible right now.  the house i currently live in has very poor wiring, and
the heating/cooling system blows chunks.  if it stays this hot for any longer
i'm going to have to start powering off machines.

i wish i didn't rent this house, i would love to fix these small problems, but
i'm not spending a dime on this place since the landlord is a prick, plus i'm
buying a house the beginning of next year.  it will have an external structure
of some type to host a proper raised floor lab.  and i will have a single
computer (ok, two computers, a sun and a mac laptop) in my office instead of
a billion of them making it so hot i'm sweating bullets.  soon.  i just have
to keep thinking that to myself. :)

-brian