Subject: Re: TK50 wierdness
To: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/12/2001 19:45:33
On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:49:15AM -0700, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> > i386/comp.tgz
> > i386/etc.tgz
>
> The TK50 does not do well with short data blocks.  Presumably your
> tar defaults to 10kB.  Try 64kB, that should help some.

that wasn't the problem, if you read down farther, it was the fact that the
tape was write-protected, and tar should have given an error about it being
write-protected instead of complaining to /dev/console with a SCSI error for
every block attempted to be written and how the media was write-protected.

although if you've seen my other post, this thing can't even write a very small
file correctly.  it may not be completely healthy.

-brian