Subject: RE: How do I get VMS (ducking now)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2001 23:34:53
Scott Horton wrote:
> Here's the deal.  I've got a Vax (VS3100M76), and I've been
> messing about
> with NetBSD on it, which has been a lot of fun.  Now I'm
> curious about VMS.
> I've got SCSI drives in stacks, I figure I can drop one in a

OpenVMS uses the console I/O routines to access
the disk during bootup and shutdown (crash). Those
routines (in PROM) cannot access beyond 1.073GB
(if you try they wrap around ... not nice).

So use an RZ26 or smaller as the boot disk. Data disks
are no problem.

> I can direct
> this question to?  Other resources?  I did a whole bunch of
> internet hunting
> about six months ago and came up empty - this time I thought
> I'd just wave
> the white flag and ask.

The OS and some layered product docs are online at:
	http://www.openvms.compaq.com:8000/index.html

The (very useful) FAQ lives at:
	http://www.openvms.compaq.com/wizard/openvms_faq.html

Start by reading the installation guide:
	http://www.openvms.compaq.com:8000/ssb71/6487/6487p.htm

You'll have to read the System Manager's guide (since that's what you'll
be!):
	http://www.openvms.compaq.com:8000/ssb71/6017/6017p.htm

Then maybe the User's Guide:
	http://www.openvms.compaq.com:8000/ssb71/6489/6489p.htm

Don't forget the HELP command at the $ prompt.

Antonio

arcarlini@iee.org