Subject: Re: How do I get VMS (ducking now)
To: Scott Horton <bighorton@home.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2001 23:30:58
On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:12:35PM -0500, Scott Horton wrote:
> Okay, okay, I know - this is the NetBSD mailing list.  My apologies for
> posting here.

we are pretty tolerant of non-NetBSD topics on this list.  wish that were
true of all the ports lists, but this one is by far my favorite due to that
fact.

> Here's the deal.  I've got a Vax (VS3100M76), and I've been messing about
> with NetBSD on it, which has been a lot of fun.  Now I'm curious about VMS.
> I've got SCSI drives in stacks, I figure I can drop one in a case and swap
> back and forth and learn stuff about both.  I know that I should be able to

VMS (in my limited experience so far) is completely foreign.  gets some docs.
it operates in a manner that is completely confusing to the average UNIX user.
i don't know how useful they are, but if i can scrounge up a DECtape II drive
(TU58) i've got a copy of the intoduction to vax/vms v2.0 guide here.  got some
paper stuff for the intro course as well, i'm just hoping the tapes are more
useful since the manuals are rather UN-useful.  i need to bug my dad to let me
have his grey-scale scanner he doesn't even use anymore to get some of these
things scanned in.

> get a license for OpenVMS, but I haven't had any luck (I applied for a DECUS
> membership almost a year ago).  Can anyone here point me in the right

re-apply.  when compaq took over decus (now encompass) they totally screwed it
up.  it took me less than 48 hours to get my decus membership 6 years ago, it's
taken my friend almost 3 weeks to get his membership as of three weeks ago.

> direction?  Is there a mailing list similar to this one that I can direct
> this question to?  Other resources?  I did a whole bunch of internet hunting
> about six months ago and came up empty - this time I thought I'd just wave
> the white flag and ask.

the classic computer mailing list is sometimes useful, but on average i'm more
tempted to ask VMS questions here, since these guys seem to know everything and
they are more than willing to help you with VMS.

cheers,

-brian