Subject: Re: How much build space should I allocate for a VAX build?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2001 15:03:07
On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 02:02:52PM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> I tried the IBM RT drives (Maxtor XT4380E drives) in the VAX, but it would
> not do a motor spinup with the motor jumper set or unset.  The Imprimis
> drive did fine.  Any idea as to why?

hmm, that's odd.  i don't have the RTs in front of me right now (will be going
to pick them up from my friend's how who has been storing them for me) but
i'll have to take a look when i get them.

> (I have an RT, too... nice 4.3Tahoe box).

i started going to college in 1991, i had a mainframe account, which was cool
as hell to me, since i had only been exposed to PCs and those tiny little 8-bit
home boxes.  it was the coolest thing ever to me.  after being there, i met one
of the computer guys who worked for PSU (where i went to school) and he gave
me an account on the IBM RT he had coloed at our branch campus, which was
running 4.3 BSD.  my first unix account.  i was in heaven.  it was awesome.
i still love the mainframe, but unix was just so cool.

wonko@fubar.bk.psu.edu was my email address for many years.  until my boss and
i quit (i ended up dropping out of school and working as a lab operator full
time) and his replacement told jeff that the RT had to go.  so it got shifted
around through a couple different departments till finally he got sick of having
to fight PSU just to keep a single box running, so he donated the RT to one
of the guys who used it all the time (which pissed me off of course *G*)

the two RTs i now own were two other boxes he had that he also ran until a
couple of years ago when PSU made him shut them down as well.  snafu and rtfm.
those two have since become mine.  i've renamed rtfm to fubar, and snafu has
kept its name.  both run 4.3 BSD (or, did the last time i used them, don't know
if they still work or not, they have been powered off and moved a couple times
of the last few years, i may need to re-install, we'll see)

anyway, hope you all enjoyed my story.

-brian