Subject: Re: How much build space should I allocate for a VAX build?
To: Vance Dereksen <vance@ikickass.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/2001 10:29:37
> You could always take a bunch of 1 giggers and make a RAID0 array out of
> them.

Well, after some perusing the spares stash for usable bits, I did manage
to come up with a 2 gig Fujitsu, and a couple 2 gig Seagates.  A bit
of shoehorning several otherDECstation branching HD power cables off
those mystical, magickal 5 pin to 4 pin TK50 power patch cables, and
the old 4000/200 critter is up and running!  Yeah!  It's a bit crude
and kludgy, but it seems to work fine, now.  Tonight I will shoehorn
in a 4th drive (4 gig Baracuda), and add in an external 9 gig drive,
assuming my cable bits can some up with something.  That should give
me plenty of play space.  The only real mod was to knock off the two
key tits on the DSSI internal scsi cable and mate it up to the Qbus
scsi controller.  Some sort of external output connection will have
to be made, but, I think I can bridge out with an old Sun 50 pin to
HD50 header board, and still get it to fit on the original DSSI
output header panel.  Then the remaining thing to do is find some
way of adding in a total of 6 internal half height scsi drives.
I should be able to fit two beside the TK50 and 4 in the other bay.
That assumes I can come up with the right mounting whatzits out of
my aluminum scrap bin.  IFF it all works (no reason to expect not
to), then that will make a nice lil' VAXentoy for the home server
farm/build farm......(:+}}...

Bob

(Now, if I can just get the 9 track reel spinner to mate up and run!)

(We ARE having VAXenfun, now, we are!)