Subject: Re: Qbus ID's
To: linc , <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/10/2001 11:08:45
At 01:23 PM 6/10/01 -0400, linc wrote:
>OK, picked up a couple vaxen's and I need some help identifying the cards
>inside...  Here's a list and what I *think* they are for..  Please
>correct/help me if you can..
>
>m7516-ym        delqa ethernet card

This is the "Turbo" version of the Ethernet card and the most desirable in
a Q-bus system.

>m9047           grant continuity card (just a qbus filler card?)

These are used to fill in "gaps" in the Qbus so that your other controllers
will work.

>m3104           serial card (is this supported by netbsd?)

Very common serial card, yes it is supported by NetBSD (DHU11).

>m7546           tk50 controler

Its EVIL :-) Just kidding, actually I hate TK50s, they suck dead gophers
through a hose. They also eat a lot of tapes.

>m7555           mfm controler (or esdi controler)

MFM, this is an RQDX3 and it can control 4 "drives" which is usually a dual
RX50 floppy and two hard drives.

>m7620-ba        ka650 processor?

Yup, the -BA indicates it is licensed for workstation use. So this was
probably a VS3200 versus a MicroVAX 3500/3600. NetBSD doesn't care, but VMS
does. The original VMS licenses would get irritated and not work if you
tried to use this CPU card in a multiuser configuration.

>m7621-a         8 meg memory

Yup, MS650 memory.

>m7516-pa        delqa ethernet (what is difference between m7516-ym?)

This is the generic DELQA, not as fast as the Turbo DELQA.

>m7169           gpx video
>m7168           gpx video

These go with that CPU, its a VCB-02 video subsystem, keyboard, mouse, and
video. Supported by VMS but not by NetBSD at present. If you have these
boards in the system will use them as the console.

>m7559           tk70 controler

A MUCH nicer controller. Presumably you got a TK70 in one of the systems as
well (a MUCH nicer drive) with 295MB capacity and much less likely to eat
tapes.

>m7164           qda sdi processor (what exactly is this)
>m7165           qda sdi controler (what is this?)

These make up the KDA50 disk controller. They connect with weird black
cables to an RA series disk like the RA81, RA82, RA91 etc.

>Also have a ba23 cabinet that I would love help on opening to see what's
>inside.  Does the internal cabinet just slide out the back after
>unscrewing?

BA23 pedestal or BA23 rack mount? Both slide out the _front_ after you've
enabled that. On both you pop off the plastic front (which reveals the
drive bays (two) where one is usually a tape or RX50 and the other is the
hard drive. Some are "dual hard drive" however. The drives remove by
pushing down the tab in front of them and sliding them out (they are on
'skids') and then unplugging them.

At this point things get a bit different. If its the pedestal there is a
bracket on the top and bottom that attach to the plastic outer box,
removing these (they have little rubber feet pushing against the BA23)
allows you to slide the BA23 out of the front.

On the rack mount version there are two screws that attach to the rack then
there are two levers next to those screws that when you pull them will
detach you from the rack and allow the case to slide forward (the whole
BA23 is on a big rack slide).

I have a BA23 pedestal MicroVAX II where someone had taken off the brackets
and "lost" them so there is no way to secure it back into the case. If
anyone has spares of those bits I'd love to get them.

--Chuck