Subject: Re: Need NetBSD-1.5.1 VAX boot iso image (anyone got it?)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/08/2001 14:45:48
> >Also, any chance anyone might have a later VAX snapshot than the
> >1.5.1B2 stuff, out of the current tree?  I wanna try to set up
> >my 4000/200 crate as a -current build box, and see if I can keep
> >it relatively current.
>
> Then don't put 1.5.x on it, put -current on it. In the grand tradition of
> NetBSD the only thing that can compile the system is the system. Only
> -current will compile -current, and 1.5.x will only compile 1.5.x.
>
> Its a well explored rant of mine and I won't proceed any further.

Well, I would tend to agree, but....

pwd
/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot
ls
drwxr-xr-x  4 1120  netbsd  512 May 13 13:09 20010509-1.5.1_Beta2

Where, perchance, is anything more current as to some sort of a
working snapshot starting point?

I have one machine up with the Beta2 stuff, and the rest are at 1.5,
and earlier.  If the 1.5.x stuff is ``less than favorable towards
the magickal road to -current...'', where is a ``recent '' sort of
cannonical snap, from which to roll a -current?  The above would
suggest that the Beta2 is it, unless there be something else to
point the url to, that I am not aware of.....

I was figuring to build from a Beta2 or a 1.5.1 starting point,
and then start all my machines from that common point, with the
4000/200 as the cannonical -current build box.

> On the subject of excess VAXen, I'm probably going to have a couple at some
> point on the West Coast (N. CA, SF Bay Area). Let me know off list if your
> interested (and no, nothing like a 4000/705 or anything, just a MV II or
> III and/or a 3500 vintage type machines)

Well, a scsi controller, if one were to magickally apear.....(:+}}...
(is there an echo rumbling from deep in the midst to that effect?)
but much else from California wouldst break me humble beerbellie budget!
(Yeah, I be California Dreamin', I be....(:+}}...)

Actually a plain single-ended scsi tmscp card would be of use, too....
I have this penchant for 9 track reels..... They are musick when they
spin, gracefully, at speed.....and I have two single ended decks
sitting.....

Bob