Subject: Re: VAX 4000 scsi funzies.....
To: None <bobkeys@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/08/2001 19:53:39
On  8 Jun, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> 1.  Other than the dual key funkiness of the DSSI cable, is there
>     anything strange I should know ahead of time that might prevent
>     its use as an ordinary scsi cable?
I used the DSSI CPU to drive bay cable for SCSI without any problems.

>     It has the DSSI HD50 connector on the end.  IS THAT CONNECTOR
>     WIRED MATERIALLY DIFFERENT FROM ORDINARY HD50 scsi cabling?
Yes. The HD DSSI connector has a complete different pinout than SCSI.

>     If so, how?
The pins go:
ribbon	HD DSSI	HD SCSI
1	1	1
2	2	26
3	3	3
4	4	27
...	...

> 3.  What is the exact pinout of the normal scsi vs the dssi cable
>     pinouts?  What I am hoping is that I can use that dssi ribbon
>     and hopefuly its hd50 connector for the scsi output, so I don't
>     have to materially hack up a centronics scsi plug onto it.
>     That would be easy if that cable would sub correctly for HD50.
You can do this if you plug an external DSSI cable into the HD
connector, connect the other end of the external DSSI cable into an
other piece of ribbon DSSI cable an terminate the bus on that.

> 4.  Can I hang a DEC RRD42 or RRD43 cdrom drive on my hacked together
>     scsi cabling and expect the KA660 cpu to boot the NetBSD-1.5 or
>     maybe shortly-to-be NetBSD-1.5.1 boot cd images?  I am thinking
>     so, but wanted to check, to be sure.
Just try. I tried to boot a VMS 7.2 CDROM from a Toshiba drive, that was
conected to my Dilog DQ706A SCSI adapter and it did _not_ work.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen