Subject: Re: Even More on Vaxen!
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/2001 22:40:58
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:24:24PM -0400, linc wrote:

> > Database running on my vax?  Good Lord that would be slower than slashdot!
>
> slashdot is bloat, pure and simple.  certainly there are banks and
> large businesses out there still running databases on VAX clusters...
>
> has postgresql been fixed yet to not require IEEE floating point?

And certainly things like MySQL should run fine on even a modest VAX.
For simple table organizations and queries, and an equivalently sized
database of several hundred megs, I'd bet MySQL performs better on a 24Meg
VAXstation 3100/M38 than Microsoft Access does on an 128MB Intel 733MHz
PIII :-)

-brian.