Subject: Re: Even More on Vaxen!
To: Chuck McManis , linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/2001 19:30:22
On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 02:36:14PM -0700, Chuck McManis wrote:

> Sure, so now you go into /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/config and you copy GENERIC
> to BIGVAX, then edit it to only have the things that you are using, or will
> be using, on this VAX (IPV6 can go, SCSI devices, etc) then type 'config
> BIGVAX' and when that finishes type
> 'cd ../compile/BIGVAX ; make depend ; make ' and then go to bed :-) About 4
> hours later, if everything has gone to plan, you can try booting your now
> custom kernel. It will run faster because it will be smaller.
>
> If you try to compile PERL remember ieeefp.h doesn't exist for the VAX! :-)

does the vax snapshot have a perl in it?  if so, get:

http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/adjustkernel

and do:

perl adjustkernel GENERIC > BIGVAX

i used adjust kernel on my sparc LX that i just installed NetBSD on, and it
really made things easy as far as getting the config up to snuff.  now, it
doesn't grok the difference say between a sun4c and a sun4m so i still had to
go through and edit the config file by hand, but it took a lot of the work
out of it since it had already disabled all devices i didn't use.  very slick.

> Otherwise, browse the package tree, load a package or two like a web server
> and then have fun.

web server would be cool, you need to get some local disks on that thing and
get it running a database though, now that would be REALLY cool. :)

speaking of which, i'll stop by the storage locker tomorrow and dig out those
two MFM drives for you.  don't know what sort of condition they are in, but
they worked 5 years ago when i had them plugged into a vs2k. :)

-brian

ps: i'll grab the front to that SCSI tower as well.