Subject: Re: Even More on Vaxen!
To: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/2001 14:36:14
Kewl!

At 08:58 AM 6/6/01 -0400, linc wrote:
>Hello..  Have something to show you all:
>NetBSD/vax (bigvax.linc.com) (console)
>login:
>
>The dang thing works!  Thanks to all who helped!
>So looking at the above, is there anything I can adjust?

Sure, so now you go into /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/config and you copy GENERIC
to BIGVAX, then edit it to only have the things that you are using, or will
be using, on this VAX (IPV6 can go, SCSI devices, etc) then type 'config
BIGVAX' and when that finishes type
'cd ../compile/BIGVAX ; make depend ; make ' and then go to bed :-) About 4
hours later, if everything has gone to plan, you can try booting your now
custom kernel. It will run faster because it will be smaller.

If you try to compile PERL remember ieeefp.h doesn't exist for the VAX! :-)

Otherwise, browse the package tree, load a package or two like a web server
and then have fun.

--Chuck