Subject: Re: 4000/200 requirements?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@tutsys.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/2001 08:52:22
At 09:42 AM 6/6/01 -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>1.  Is the on-board ethernet supported or do I need to use a deqna or
>     such card instead.  The models info in the archives suggest that
>     it should be supported, and that only the dssi is unsupported.

Yes it is, I use it all the time. The switch on the cab kit gets dirty some
times and that makes it appear to not work.

>2.  The original boardset had a bus load card (a big board full of
>     power dissipation bus loading resistors), a M90xx something.
>     Is that really required with a 4000/200 cpu, or is that only
>     supposed to be used when the boardset lightly loads the power
>     busses?  Is it actually functioning as a bus terminator card
>     rather than a true bus load card?

Just a PSU loader for the wider BA213, completely unnecessary in the BA215.
Leave it in the left most slot of the BA213 to make sure the left side PSU
"lights up."

>3.  Where can I run across some of the plastic dual height support
>     blanks that hold up the dual height cards?

The MoU surplus pit? These are in a lot of BA2xx series boxen so once
you've salvaged a few boxes you should be running a fairly good supply of
them. I came across something the other day which was _quad wide_ bus grant
cards, (basically two bus grant cards in one) very strange. So now I've got
single, dual, and quad wide bus grant cards :-)

Generally the boards will keep themselves in place (just don't drop the
chassis) and if you are really worried a piece of plywood works wonders
(but doesn't look good with the 'bars' off. :-)

--Chuck